Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review: Flying Lessons by Natalie Cooper

This is my very first short story review and I'm very excited and worried at the same time because this is a first and I'm afraid the review might be too short. Though, I love challenging myself, you have to fall before you can fly.:)

Natalie Cooper's writing is nothing spectacular I have to say, but she made me care about a character in only nine pages. That takes some skill, right? Her writing didn't include any showing off vocabulary that sometimes I love in authors, but I'm glad she didn't. She made the story easy to follow and made you want to know what was going to happen. Cooper didn't go out and say what was happening which I like. The one quote that I really loved that she wrote in Flying Lessons was," I was alone, like a single sailor looking out onto a vast ocean. Except my sea was not one of waves, but made up of people-each one staring at me, waiting for me to speak." I'm not sure why I love that quote but I do, and I feel like that sometimes when I have to give speeches in class. I feel like Natalie Cooper writes in a very personal place with outstanding details that many can relate to.

I love the characters, especially Mom Mom. I don't know. Maybe it's her personality. Maybe it's the feeling you get that you're grandmother is just like her. Maybe it's the specialty that made my eyes prick near the end.

I personally can't relate to any death in the family and in a way I feel thankful and very sheltered that I haven't felt an actual heart break before. Though, I have thought how utterly depressed if my grandmother and/or especially if my mother passed away. The thought kills me sometimes and I don't like to sink into a depressed state when my mother is healthy and wonderful.

I think that having a support group, like Mom Mom was to Natalie was an essential part that really made me care for the story, and that's why I give Natalie Cooper's short story Flying Lessons a head nods, thumbs up, and smiling like there's no tomorrow. (5 out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. The cover looks great and it seems that you enjoyed this novel a lot! Great review :)
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete