Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: Faelorehn by Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

So I just finished this book last night and it took me a while I have to say. I think I started it back in the beginning of June and worked my way slowly till last night. Oh, I don't really know how to start with this so I'm going to start with the author, Jenna Elizabeth Johnson.

Miss. Johnson I have to say that you have very strange interest in Irish folktales, but we all love what we do, and I guess writing something like this or any fiction takes some craziness to a degree. Her writing style wasn't anything too abstract or difficult, it wasn't like something that Cassandra Clare would write, but it was on the better side of authors I've read. I felt that the pacing was done well, I got very tired of reading mundane things at the beginning of the novel, because even though it shows who Meghan is, I feel like it was just too dull for my taste. Maybe it was just me, but I had trouble pronouncing all the Old Irish names in my head. It took awhile to just deal with all of the names, but I just learned to memorize the way the letters were organized and not how I'd speak it.

Characters in this novel, were interesting. At the very beginning I felt like Meghan was like built for me, we were so alike, besides the whole paranormal thing, but you know she was me. She was a version of me that I wanted to explore. That made me continue reading. Though, if you've read the novel she tends to be extremely unaware and not very perceptive at all. Meghan was just alright for the main protagonist and narrator. Then there's our love interest Cade. Yeah he's what you expect a tall, dark, and mysterious older man who shows up out of know where and delivers you a plate with all your wishes come true. Well also nightmares, but you get the point he was your prince charming. All the other side characters were there to entice me when Meghan failed me or Cade just got me stumped. 

I think I have to say this the most. The ending was horrific. I wanted to bang myself against a wall how things turned out. I did appreciated that there was an explanation chapter and that got me over the hellish part of the novel, but besides that I think Faelorehn is an alright novel. So I give Jenna Elizabeth Johnson's novel Faelorehn a head nods, thumbs up. (4 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment