Friday, November 2, 2012

What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?

There's something every adult, friend, acquaintance asks,"What do you want to be when you grow up?" A lot of them say afterwards that you can be anything you want, that you are young and can change your decision any time you want. Is that really true? because for me, a public school student, in the United States of America, I feel pressured to know what I want to be, now. I'm only thirteen, and I have to choose paths that I want to take for high school, and continue on to college/university.

I don't want to be one thing when I grow up. I'm well assured in myself that I can never stick to one thing. My hobbies and interest are too wide, for me to stick to one thing. As an example, one day I want to sing at Madison Square Garden, when I very well  know I'm neither a good singer, or musician. I am fond of music, and I sing my soul in every broken note, and off key word. Then there are some days when I want to be that writer in a coffee shop and wearing sweats all day. I want to be that lady that has works published, and her imaginary friends got her there. I also want to be a teacher that teaches English abroad one day, in France, or Spain, or in whatever country. Likewise, I want to own my own small business in town, and see the same people I see every weekend. I'd bake cakes, or sell books in my little nook and cranny. A lot of times, I want to be a computer engineer, or website designer. I want to make pictures, and things that will feel good to the human eye. Those are my most often wanted dreams that I want to become real. That's what I want to be when I grow up.

Then why can't I be those things? I'm stuck in this society that expects me to have the same job every weekday for who knows how long. I'm stuck in a society that makes me choose paths, and they still ask me questions like what I want to be when I grow up, when they very well know I can't be anything more than what I've chosen at this moment. I'm stuck in a place where I want to be successful, but I can't because I'd have to start from the beginning, from where people that wanted to be _______, since they were five. I'm stuck, and I'm only 13.

Since the invention of the internet, there's been a whole bunch of job creation on here. I see that the internet is going to become the future of jobs soon. I just hope that it will also allow me what society can't at this moment. I hope I'm aloud to turn on my computer one day and have my guitar or piano out and sing a concert to people live through the internet, and have them commenting back live. I hope that I can teach students through the internet, and grade papers, and help them become their fullest. I know I can write a novel and be published. I know that I can become a website designer. I know that I can be that seller only in my neighborhood, and its through the internet.

I know all the things I want to be. I just don't know how exactly I'll make all of those dreams be reality. If you're with me on this, please leave me a comment. I love receiving comments from you guys, and go ahead and have a battle in the comments below. I have to add this at the end, or else I'm afraid of being pounded with hate, and that's something I wish I didn't have to do, but everything I wrote are my thoughts, and opinions, my views, and mine. Thanks for reading, if you got this far.

Love and Hugs
Clara

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I just realized that we are the same age! It's just that you've always sounded so much more mature for your age :)

    I feel the same way as you regarding my futur. I'm completely undecided yet. I do hope that I won't stay like that for long, but there are just many choices out there in the world, and I definitely don't want to make a wrong decision!

    Excellent post, Clara!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete