Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sword Art Online Anime Review


from crunchyroll.com
In the near future, a Virtual Reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) called Sword Art Online has been released where players control their avatars with their bodies using a piece of technology called: Nerve Gear. One day, players discover they cannot log out, as the game creator is holding them captive unless they reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if they die in the game, they die in real life. Their struggle for survival starts now...
I found out about SOA through a tumblr picture that I thought was cool, but this was months ago, and I can't find it :(. My initial thoughts of this series was that oooh this seems pretty cool, and it has a bit of romance tied together with some really cool fighting sequences. It is really good...for the first have of the first season. I have to say around episode 7 or so, when things get into more shit than they were before is when I found out that this series is dragging itself out too much for it to be good. I wish, like most people who have seen Sword Art Online, that it would have ended around episode 7 or so too. There's no need for more unnecessary drama. It really ruined the experience of the show for me. I'm glad I marathoned it when all the episodes had already come out. I can't imagine the shock people watching had while it was releasing. The torture they must of have been through is unbelievable. The writer of the anime needs to calm down and finish the story without added more drama.

The characters in this story are alright. They aren't anything spectacular, but I thought they were sufficient enough to watch without being bored to death about how bland their personalities are-which has happened with previous animes. It was enjoyable, but I can't say the parts I dislike without spoiling. I thought Kirito and Asuna's relationship was a steadily getting closer for the first few episodes and then bam! Their love came out all at once and it was a bit strange to see them act so romantic in a not so romantic beginning of the show. It felt a bit rushed after that, and I think that's what I would describe as the turning point when things in the series started to turn south. Love does crazy things to animes. I did enjoy that Asuna was a strong female character, that wasn't weak-for the most part.

The plot of the story was kind of been there, done that, so it wasn't something I was taken away with. It was just cool to see the technological advancements, which I love seeing in animes. Though, this time it's for the worst. Thinking back to the Kirito and Asuna's main enemy, he was quite boring and it's more of an outside force that really is their enemy.

I don't have that much else to say about this anime. I don't think it's worth watching, because of how horrible the second half of the anime is. It's really a shame how it went, and I wished they could have ended it better. I also made the mistake of watching the movie. Please don't watch the movie, if you saw the show. It's a waste of your time, because it's really showing the same clips as in the show. It's a highlights reel of the first season with a little bit of fun and danger for five minutes. I'd say, watch the movie if you didn't watch the show and then you'll be all caught up to watch the second series. For some reason I'm a little tempted to watch the second season which is currently airing, but I know I won't like it. *sigh* I might try out watching Log Horizon, which is basically another anime with the same concept as SOA.

No comments:

Post a Comment