Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Say I Love You Anime Review



From crunchyroll.com
Tachibana Mei has had no boyfriend and couldn't even make friends. One day she injures Kurosawa Yamato, the most popular boy in school, and for some reason Yamato takes interest in her...

Say "I Love You" is a full on thirteen episode romantic drama about this girl who purposefully has no friends, and gets closer to the most popular guy at school. It is based off the manga that is still ongoing, so I have no idea how the manga matches up to the anime. If you'd like me to review the manga, please leave a comment down below and I would do so.

I have to say I was in a romantic anime watching mood when I watched this anime. It was right after I finished watching My Little Monster (tonari no kaibutsu-kun) which I thought was amazing, and this anime came out around the time it did so for some reason I thought it was going to be equally as amazing. Now, I'm not going to bash it for that simple reason. It's just that it was not as great as My Little Monster, and it would probably leave a better impression if I had not just finished watching My Little Monster.

This is your typical lover story about a quiet girl and a really popular guy getting together in high school. There are some strong themes of bullying and peer pressure which I guess is important, but the entire show felt like a straight line without much excitement, to me at least, I've heard otherwise from people. There isn't much explaining done in this anime. They leave a lot of things out that could really benefit the series, but I guess in a thirteen episode show you can only fit so much. It was a bit tiring for me to keep watching these two go back in forth through their doubts and speculations of each other because of their peers. Let's just say that normally your friends know what's best for you, but you have to choose the greatest friends to be around you to be able to give you their opinion and guide you, or else you'd end up a slave to those succubus friends. No good.
awww look how cute they are XD

The way Mei and Yamato are drawn are not your typical shoujo long haired girl with bangs and messy haired boy. They have their unique look to them and I don't mind one way or the other. Yamato's hair is a bit strange though...He's also kind of a creep in the way that he forces himself on Mei. I guess if he didn't do that they would never be together, but to me it seems a bit much.

I would recommend this anime to any hopeless romantic because it is good in that sense, but it really is nothing else besides a love story with some strong message to high schoolers about peer pressure and bullying. I'd give this anime a head moves back and forth, thumb moving towards the middle or down if you only look at it as a romantic anime. (3 out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh I love the new name! What a cuuttee name I almost thought you disappeared!

    And this anime review! I read the manga and loveee it so much so now I am curently watching and I really enjoy Yamato's voice so cuttteee. Usually I only read shoujo stuff but watching isn't so bad as well.^^

    ReplyDelete