Saturday, December 1, 2012

Scared of Comments?

There's no denying that cyber bullying goes around on the internet. Especially in a blogging community such as the book bloggers. Even though, I have barely seen any rude comments on others blogs, and everyone on here is extremely nice, and we all want to help out each other and become friends, there's always the voice in the back of my mind that brings out all the insecurities I have, and believes that email I get sent when someone leaves a comment says something about my insecurities.

I'm not so much as scared of a comment, as if it would haunt me, but what people think of me, and how they perceive me as a blogger. There's always a chance that there will be a troll, or someone that is just mean-or they are having a bad day and trying to make themselves feel better-and I always feel that rush of what if when I read comments.

Then there are the comments that I have only heard of from people in my school. The ones where because the majority of the teenage population don't know that their are stalkers, and they want to be popular, feel the need to get thousands of followers on instagram, facebook, and twitter. I have know right to call people out and say you are doing it wrong, but I think people should know better than to post photos of themselves everywhere they go of them, and their friends. It seems idiotic to me. The result of these people that put their entire selves on social media is that they create people to stalk them. I have proof that many people in my school have been stalked, and it just seals my point that there is a privacy matter that teenagers don't understand. Being stalked at thirteen is really sad. There is a part of me that thinks those things. The side that I might have put too much information that I should have.

So where am I going with this? I think that comments should be shared lovingly, and to critique. There's a difference from sharing your opinion and antagonizing people. How much you put yourself out there on the internet is on your shoulders, and sometimes we all need a reminder of that. My brief hesitation before reading comments may seem irrational to many, and I know that there are many people that get much worse comments online, but it doesn't stop me from reading comments. Feel free to leave a comment below, and tell me if you hesitate before commenting, or reading comments. Tell me/ask me whatever. 

1 comment:

  1. I hesitate to leave comments because it feels rude to talk like I know people when we haven't been introduced. Kind of strange probably. I've only gotten positive comments on my blog, but I know that when I first started I felt really nervous about putting myself out there to be criticized. I feel that kind of pang in my gut when people hate my book. I feel so guilty that people wasted their time, like I personally afflicted them with a book that they hate. I hate books I hate, but I suppose it's better to be bold and take the pangs instead of hiding in your own little world.

    ReplyDelete