Thursday, December 20, 2012

Writing: Character Development

During reading over what and how I wanted to edit the novel I wrote over nanowrimo, I found that I barely knew my main character. Do note that I don't plan when I'm writing a first draft. I find it terribly difficult to stick to it, and things just don't work out for me. Anyways, when I found out that I wasn't super sure of my main character, I decided to look up somethings about character development, and how to go about it.

One of the things I read about was, interviewing your character in the place of them. It literally has gotten me to figure out so many things by just asking my character. That might seem weird, because some characters are in my head and I should just write them down, but like I said before, I don't plan, so I make up my characters on the spot. Georgia-my main character-was a girl I thought up on the spot. She has a difficult past, and while writing Nanowrimo a lot of wholes were left out that could have effected her one way or the other.

I plan on doing that with some of my secondary characters, but my main group of characters seem to be the ones with the least back story, or fully developed. It's frustrating, but it's so much fun interview the characters. It should be easy, and come out naturally. If the answers to the interview don't come out as so, you should rethink the importance of the character in the story.

That's all I want to say this week, and I have some websites that I think will also help with character development:

http://www.pgtelco.com/~slmiller/characterdevelopment.htm

http://lillieammann.com/2009/07/27/creating-fictional-characters%E2%80%94part-8-developing-characters-throughout-your-story/

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474976908598

http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-a-Character-for-a-Story

Of course there are so many more website and books out there, and the best way to learn is to find things on your own. I hope you have a wonderful time writing. :D

Love and Hugs
Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment