Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: The Secrets of the Vanmars by Elisabeth Wheatley



 The Secrets of the Vanmars is a novel I wished I read earlier when I first received the book. I was very hesitant to read it because I am not that big of a fan of fantasy novels. I didn't have much of a standard when I started reading the novel, but it blew my mind with the characters and expansive world Janir lives in. 

Elisabeth Wheatley is the youngest author that I have ever read and she could go for thirty if I didn't know ahead of time. Her writing wasn't a novice and she used her words carefully, unlike most seventeen year olds. I love the world she created and the special weapons of the Argetallams. The world and characters were well developed and I wished I had read the first book before. 

I absolutely loved the characters in this novel, besides the MC with daddy issues, Janir I couldn't stop laughing with and at Karile. He's more of the jester than the enchantress, but he means well though his actions might make you think other wise. The love interest, Saoven is the charming, and handsome elf, and I can see him with Janir, unlike other novels that decide to have two people fall in love after an hour. I really love to read more about the elves and their ways in future novels in the series. 

What I loved most about this novel is the fast paced keep moving mentality. There wasn't a moment where I felt the novel was dull or could be better. There was always something pressing and it made me read the novel less than a day. When I started reading the novel, I couldn't stop until I had to. 

As for how the novel ended, it made me feel content, but at the same time I want to get my hands on the third novel. I'm afraid where the next novel will go for Janir because you(me) never wants the MC to go crazy or have someone else completely change who they are. Besides that I am all for reading all seven novels in the series. I do recommend to read the first novel before this one. It seems like I've been reading some really awesome books lately, so The Secrets of the Vanmars gets a head nods, thumbs up, and smiling like there's no tomorrow. (5 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment