Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: Hotblood by Juliann Whicker


Hotblood by Juliann Whicker lingers in my mind and I hope I don't forget the wonderful and magical characters. All 298 pages have made me felt pain, sorrow, hope, and giddy in all then less than 24 hours. I can tell you I spent the night reading through morning, and I don't regret it. When I found out about this novel, I thought that it was just another paranormal romance, cheesy, not really well thought out, and a fairy tale sort of charm to it. Boy was I wrong! This novel was nothing that I expected, and something more, I dare say.               
Juliann Whicker's writing made me really happy reading whatever she wrote. The way she wrote the novel just flowed smoothly and realistically on the screen in my mind. I read that I should be open minded about this novel, and I didn't have to because it opened my mind for me without me noticing. Weird, right? I loved and hated the different point of views from the two main characters. I love how the author created this whole different paranormal aspect of what we expect from today's young adult novels. I honestly loved the dark, and deathly frighting scenes and couldn't get enough. 

 Dari, or Dariana was a very interesting main protagonist from the get-go. She didn't bore me, or maybe because of the wide span of lovable characters made it seem so. I can't say this to every novel, maybe The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, but Hotblood in particular I had no problems with any characters. I love all of them "good" and "bad". They all contributed something, and had a soul of there own. I of course love Lewis with all of his faults and mystery that shrouds the outcome of the novel. I don't think there could be a more enjoyable love interest for Dari.

The dialogue for the novel made me laugh more than once. I love Satan's humor and over all presence in the story. Also because his nickname cracks me up. The relationship between Snowy and Dari is strong, which I can't say for many high school teenagers. They weren't a fake best friends that you think of, they truly pulled each other up when they were down, even if it didn't seem like it on the surface. Their kidding lightened the mood through out the novel. I have to say that Axel's dialogue made me shiver. It was totally unexpected and I don't want to spoil anything, but chills were everywhere.

I love how diverse the scene changes were and the many places that each have their own story to tell. The artistic aspect of the novel, made me want to hug my e-reader because I can imagine the paintings strangely enough crystal clear as if I saw them in an actual art show. A lot of the things in Hotblood was extremely close to my heart and felt realistic even though it is completely made up.

I am dying to read the second book in the House of Slide series with all the drama and hopefully new characters that are equally as awesome as everyone else. Perhaps from my review you can guess that I give Hotblood by the wonderful and talented Juliann Whicker a head nods, thumbs up, and smiling like there's no tomorrow. (5 out of 5)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Clara,
    Your review is great! You've been able to convince me to give it a try.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete