Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review:Busgirl Blues by BR Myers

Sixteen year old, magazine quiz junkie, Kelsey Sinclair wants to make this summer unforgettable by (hopefully) seducing her secret crush, Blaine Mulder. Armed with romance advice articles, Kelsey tackles true love with scientific precision, including getting a job at the seaside restaurant that overlooks the yacht club where Blaine teaches sailing.

However, visions of rendezvous on the beach are clouded when the new kitchen guy's laid back attitude and smouldering stare quickly get under her skin. With his renegade demeanour and unpredictable stunts, Luke is the opposite to Blaine's golden boy reputation. 

Determined to follow through with her original goal, Kelsey ignores her growing attraction to Luke, certain he's not the guy for her. But when she finally manages to get Blaine's attention, Kelsey worries the magazines are all wrong, and that sometimes the best matches are the ones you least expect.

from BR Myers' Blog

BR Myers is one of the few authors I actually follow on twitter, and blog. So, when I found out about Busgirl Blues going to be on wattpad for free, I had to check it out. This short novel made me sad in a good way. It made me feel embarrass for the main character, delightedly giggle, and was just a feel good book. 

It took me about five or six hours to read the novel. That might sound long for some people, but for me that's a quick read. BTW I read it while it was being published each chapter every few days. There were edge of the seat cliffhangers. Something to be aware of when reading a novel online, whether its on wattpad, or fanfiction.net, or what else, there are going to be grammatical errors. Not the entire novel, but there will be some, and you have to deal with it. I, personally, don't mind it, unless it's in every sentence or so. Anyways, I think Busgirl Blues was well paced, and I just loved how everything kind of weaved itself together. 

I felt like the main character, Kelsey, was a stereotypical teenager. I'm not sure if it's an accurate interpretation completely, but there were some parts of Kelsey that I could see some of my good friends in her. It was difficult to get into Kelsey's mind though, because her doing a plan to kiss a guy she's had a crush on forever is just way too out there, and I guess I've never met anyone that'd actually do that. But, it is fiction after all. Kelsey repeatedly makes mistakes, after mistakes, and it got really annoying after a while, because I know characters are suppose to have mistakes, but Kelsey seems like she makes more mistakes than not, and that's just...wow. I feel very vague, so just go read the book, and you'll know what I mean. Her mistakes aren't things that I'd pass by and forget, and I don't fully understand why Luke does. 

Falling in love, or thinking that you are, is a weird thing. I can't see why Luke is attracted to Kelsey. I do want them to be together through out the book, but that's because there are no other guys that are better than Luke for Kelsey. Though Luke has problems of his own, I wouldn't see how'd he and Kelsey get along, past a summer of fun. But the novel is, just a summer of fun. 

Busgirl Blues is that book you want to bring on the beach during spring break, or just to read during spring break, you don't have to go to the beach. It's that book that I bet most of you can finish in about two hours. It reminds me of a Sarah Dessen and Stephanie Perkins book, but I haven't read any of their books, though I know what they write, and this goes under that category. I say go read it for yourself, it's free, and if you like free things go check it out. I give Busgirl Blues by BR Myers a head nods, thumbs up. (4 out of 5)

Go read BR Myers' new novel Butterflies Don't Lie

No comments:

Post a Comment