Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review: My Little Monster(Anime/Manga)


Summary:
Shizuku Mizutani has learned to deal with life's disappointments by repressing her emotions and trusting no one but herself. She has only one focus and that is academic achievement. Haru Yoshida throws himself at life with every ounce of emotional power he has which would not necessarily be a problem except he deals with deep seated rage issues. He has seriously hurt several students over the years and consequently everyone is afraid of him. Shizuku sees no point in engaging the world around her and Haru doesn't know how to engage the world around him. All that begins to change when the two first meet and find themselves almost immediately attracted to each other. Their unlikely pairing leads both of them to begin to break out of their lonely, little worlds to see what life really has to offer.

from animenewsnetwork

Like I've been saying in my recent posts, I've been wanting to read/watch more romantic type things and this is definitely one of them. I watched the anime in about a half a day, and fell in love with it immediately. It was just really easy and fun to watch. So there are thirteen episodes in the series that aired in 2012, and I the animation is not anything crazy cool like Attack on Titan or Beyond the Boundary, but it's pretty and watchable.


The characters, as much as I want to believe a relationship like Shizuku and Haru could work out, I know that real life doesn't work that way, but oh a girl can dream. Their relationship is just the cutest and of course they have their set backs, but it's always cute seeing different sides of them that go beyond their relationship and go to their background and family life. I have to say, Shizuku, is not a lovable character, though I can empathize with her, and understand the studious way of having to study and wanting everything to be perfect, because of wanting the control that you can't get anywhere else.

It takes place in an urban setting, and makes me sincerely want to go out with friends and have as much freedom as they seem to have. *sigh* Haru tends to have leaning on stalker characteristics that is probably much more harmful to a relationship than good, even though it works out for the better in this case.

After I finished watching the anime, I read the manga, which is usually how it goes for me. The anime actually did an amazing job at not changing much, if at all, so it was easy to transition from the anime to continuing the story in manga form. The manga goes more in depth to all the relationships and characters than the anime, as expected and really nothing else in my opinion makes it special or different. I laughed multiple times through out the anime and manga, and I have to say this is one of the lighter romantic anime/manga. It had a sort of Ouran High School Host Club feel to it by the end where all the drama really built up and this story was about to end. I'm not sure if that's a regular occurrence in these type of things, but I did notice it was quite similar. So my friend, if you want to have your heart get sucked and soothed for a weekend, go watch and read My Little Monster, because I'm giving it a head nods, thumbs up. (4 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment